Ursuline Academy’s robotics team, UA Bearbotics, earned the Rookie All-Star Award during the recent St. Louis Regional FIRST Robotics Competition held at Chaifetz Arena.
This award celebrates the rookie team which exemplifies a young but strong partnership effort between its students and sponsors, as well as understands and promotes the mission of FIRST to inspire students to enjoy and learn more about science and technology. The team was interviewed by the regional judges, designed and created a robot appropriate to the game’s challenges, and, based upon students’ leadership, vision and spirit, is considered a “Chairman’s Award team in the making.”
Ursuline was one of three rookie teams out of the 52 competing in the regional event, as well as one of only three all-girl teams. Judges do have the option of not presenting this award if they feel that no rookie team meets the criteria, but UA easily earned this recognition.
With this award, the team has earned the right to compete during one of twoFIRST Championships to be held in St. Louis and Houston. The St. Louis event will take place at The Dome at America’s Center April 26-29. A competition schedule will be released when all participating teams have been finalized.
We thank the team’s main sponsors – Monsanto, Boeing and Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri – as well as their coaches, Mr. Shane Hanson (physics/engineering) and Mr. Scott Edmunds (Boeing), and congratulate the team members on a successful season thus far!
- Madison Yakstis ’18 (Team Leader)
- Claire Roberson ’17 (Assistant Team Leader)
- Kelly Zipfel ’20 (Assistant Team Leader)
- Emma Douthitt ’17 (Mechanical Leader)
- Elizabeth Edmunds ’20 (Electrical Leader)
- Anna Gonsalves ’19 (Media Leader)
- Caeley Kates ’18 (Business Leader)
- Amanda Kohne ’20 (Safety Leader)
- Libby Trn ’19 (Drive and Programming Leader)
- Mary Weissert ’20 (Spirit Leader)