Original recipe for Chex Mix as created by Rosejoan Kisling Holden ’41 in 1951:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups Wheat Chex square cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex square cereal
- 1-1/2 cups peanuts
- 1-1/2 cups small pretzel rods
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Melt butter in shallow pan over low heat. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and garlic salt (do not use garlic powder).
- Combine the Wheat Chex, Rice Chex, nuts (peanuts, pecans or cashews), and pretzels in large bowl and drizzel with the butter mixture. Mix with large spoon until all pieces are evenly coated with the seasoned butter mixture.
- Place the mixture in a shallow baking pan with sides. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every ten minutes so the mix is evenly toasted.